Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Visit in My Dreams

I remember one time calling Sarah after I had a dream about her. “I dreamed about you last night” might seem a weird conversation starter, but it was never weird to Sarah.
On a few occasions she would excitedly tell me she dreamed of me too! On others, she would smile thoughtfully and say ,”How cute you visited me in your dreams.”
Sarah was very interested in dreams. I even have a dream dictionary because I was so fascinated about how she would look up and interpret her dreams, that I started wanting to know what my dreams meant too. Being part Native American from the Chickasaw Nation, Sarah also loved dream catchers and had them around her house, even to her passing. Dream catchers are supposed to catch the bad dreams, leaving only good dreams behind.
If we had a dream about each other, we always called. In our younger days, if we had a perplexing dream, we would both consult our dream dictionaries and philosophize on what it had meant.
I haven’t dreamed about Sarah since her passing, until last night. I was in a blue pickup truck near my parent’s house. Inside the cab were two large original paintings that I was (pitifully) attempting to analyze. When I looked up, Sarah was standing on the street corner. Her hair was brown and shiny, her eyes were sparkling green, and she was waving at me happily.
I stared back at her with no reaction. My eyes were dead. I wanted to cry, but couldn’t. Sarah’s happiness turned to sadness. Her lips turned downward and she mouthed to me, “I’m sorry.”
I continued to look back, seemingly indifferent. Inside though I was crying. As the pick-up truck kept moving forward, she was quickly moving out of sight. Looking through the window, I managed to pull myself together and take my two hands and blow her kisses goodbye with tears running down my cheeks. She blew back.....
the dream was over.


I’m too sad to analyze the dream. I know if I had called her, every detail would have been important and she would come up with some amazing theory on what it all meant. I just wanted to tell her today though, “how cute you visited me in my dream. Thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment