Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Her Unknown Impact

I have been with my husband for 14 years, 10 of which we have been married. He is my absolute best friend. When I met him, he was incredibly kind to me. He opened doors, made me lunch, and always made me laugh. He has told me he knew I was the “one” from the moment he met me. Maybe that is why he was so charming.
Imagine my surprise then when I took him to meet my friends and family and he acted anything but! I quickly discovered Cody had NO filter, and that’s not a good thing if he doesn’t think you were the “one!”
My family and friends all struggled to like him, and honestly we broke up multiple times because of that on our road to happily ever after. My mom has said she thought he was and I quote, “The rudest human being to ever walk the face of this Earth.”
LOL
It’s funny now only because they totally get along.
So what changed?
Well, let me tell you a little story about Sarah.
I have to set the stage. Sarah had a prolific vocabulary and was incredibly witty. I remember many times being proud to be her friend, because if you dared to challenge Sarah with a war of words, she would indefinitely win; or at least amuse you and make you laugh out loud in the process. I could be wrong, but I think it’s fairly safe to say Sarah never went to bed with the thought, “Oh, if I had ONLY said this....that would have really got ‘em.”
So, what does all of that have to do with me, my husband, and my family?
I was at a karaoke bar one night with Sarah and Cody (you know, because Sarah helped me realize I could sing) and it was probably the second time they had hung out. I went to the bathroom, and came back to find Sarah’s finger pointing at him.
“Uh-oh.” My heart dropped. Damnit, not her too!! Will everyone end up hating him??
“Cody, cut the bullshit. I see right through you. You have the same insecurities as everyone else, and it’s obvious and quite frankly embarrassing.”
Sigh. Great. Sarah hates him too.
I looked at Cody. He was.......smiling? I had no idea how to read him. Was he incredulous? Amused? Pissed? I couldn’t tell.
I’ll tell you this though, they went on to be friends after that and she even got him a job at the Wells Fargo phone bank, where she was working at the time.
Because of that interaction, I was able to tell my family to “give it right back to Cody!” Whatever he dished out, dish back!
My mom was skeptical.
“I’m not going to stoop to his level,” she muttered with disgust.......but after awhile, my family started giving him grief back. He loved it! He was never offended. They will tell me about “zingers” they have waiting in their holster. He laughs everytime. Cody is NEVER offended. He loves a good joke and a good zing.....even if the joke is on him.
Sarah taught us all that, and oh how I loved her for it....how I love her for it.
Sarah, you were instrumental in my life in soooo many ways. I’m so sad I couldn’t be there to save yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment