Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

How do I live without you?



  • Left
  • Center
  • Right
Remove
click to add a caption
Being over 6 foot tall made Sarah an easy target for ridicule. She still always stood tall and proud. She would joke she was an amazonian goddess, and you know what? She really was. I know she had her insecurities, but they never stopped her.
That was not true of me. I was easily embarrassed, sensitive, and would fall apart when people made fun of me. One year in highschool I tried out for the advanced choir. I came from a musical family and both my brother and sister had been in choir, so I wanted to follow in their footsteps, and plus, I absolutely loved singing. Well, the tryout went awful. Mr Farrell (yes I still remember his name because it was that humiliating), had individual tryouts and you were to match your voice to a key on a piano. I had never been around pianos. I knew I was bombing the tryout, but there was nothing to do but keep forging ahead. Needless to say I did not make choir and I was devastated. I decided singing wasn’t for me. That is, until one day in Sarah’s car.
Sarah did not have the greatest voice. (Don’t get mad Sarah! You were already smarter, a better poet, a better writer, and a better artist, so I think I can have this one). That never stopped her from belting out a tune when she wanted to sing.
One day, LeAnn Rimes’ song “How Do I Live?” came on the radio. Sarah was unabashedly singing along, and I started to join in quietly. After a bit she turned off the song.
“What are you doing? Turn it back on! I love that song!” I exclaimed.
“You’re really good. Sing it,” she demanded.
I started making excuses and she frowned disapprovingly. It was like she was disappointed I couldn’t stop caring about what people think for one second to sing to just her alone in the car.
Sigh.
I started singing. Quietly at first, but as she kept smiling and laughing, I started singing louder.
She looked so proud when I finished. I don’t remember exactly what she said, but that doesn’t matter. Maya Angelou said once “people don’t remember what you say, but how you made them feel,” and Sarah made me feel like the best singer on the planet. I sang everywhere after that. I became addicted to karaoke bars. I’ve never stopped singing since. I’ve actually won money and trophies at karaoke. Dumb I know, but every time I wanted to show them to Mr. Farrell. He couldn’t see I could sing, but she could.
Sarah had a special talent of finding the good and beauty in everyone and everything. Oh how will this world live without you Sarah?

  • Left
  • Center
  • Right
Remove
click to add a caption



https://youtu.be/MUFasKZcH_c

No comments:

Post a Comment