Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Generalized Anxiety Disorder Questionairre

I went to the doctor to discuss my anxiety.  "Everyone has anxiety" he reassured me.  He handed me a checklist and told me he would be back.

I fill out this brief, maybe 5 question checklist that rates me on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the most severe.  I read through the questions and marked every single solitary answer a 5.

I stared at it.  I scanned the top again that read "Generalized Anxiety Disorder Questionairre" and then I skimmed my answers again and started thinking one really does not need to be a doctor to diagnose me if they are looking at this checklist I am looking at.

Wow.

When he came back in he asked me how long I have felt like this.  I told him honestly, "My entire life." He immediately started writing the referral for behavioral health.  I find it so bizarre even still that I could have an anxiety disorder.  My entire family is like me.  If I have it, then all of them have one too.  He said it tends to run in families, so I clarified, "Okay, but then how much is taught and how much is genetic?"

Seemed like a good question. Without looking up from his paper he replied matter-of-factly it was genetic.  Case closed in his mind.

Wow.

So, here I am.  No official dx, but I think I know the direction this is headed.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment